Three levels of the Metcalfe Bond Stores were redesigned for new open-plan commercial office space. Earlier interior works from the 1970s were removed to reveal the original steel, brick and timber structure of the 1913 building. These generous volumes were refurbished on the lower ground, ground floor and mezzanine areas with a section of the steel-supported mezzanine removed allowing greater natural light. To reach the mezzanine, a folded steel stair was designed using thin steel rods to support the staircase without adding additional volume. Upgraded amenities on the lower ground level completed the project.
Photography: Tom Ferguson