A landmark in Martin Place, the former Head Office of the Commonwealth Bank is one of Sydney’s most recognisable early 20th century buildings. A major revitalisation project undertaken in association with JPW Architects re-establishes the importance of the celebrated ‘Money Box’ building (1916). The design programme is anchored in the cultural values of the building, established by a Conservation Management Plan prepared by TKD Architects. Unsympathetic alterations were reversed revealing the building’s original interiors while new works and services are sympathetically integrated. The central lightwell has been reinstated as a light-filled atrium bringing natural light into the Banking Chamber.
Photography: Brett Boardman