The Canberra Glassworks occupies a prominent position in the Kingston Foreshore development on the shores of Lake Burley Griffin. The Glassworks facility is an adaptive reuse of Canberra’s Kingston Powerhouse (1915) and a centre for the ACT’s glass artists. Artists often work with molten glass before an audience seated on tiered seating on a mezzanine. The innovative design meets the functional requirements of a glass centre within an industrial building. The public facilities include a gallery, retail shop and cafe. Ecologically Sustainable Development systems capture the waste heat from the glass furnaces, use passive heating and cooling systems (including geothermal) and provide waste water reuse.
Photography: Steve Back