The contemporary pavilion addition and refined refurbishment of this 1880’s estate home offers both a striking contemporary envelope and grand aesthetic. Located on the Parramatta River, it takes advantage of the steep level change, embracing the spectacular natural vista and accessibility to water.
The lightweight pavilion relieves the pressures of modern living needs from the original house, offering immediate connection to the garden, pool and jetty. Old and new are sensitively connected by a delicate glass-framed walkway through original eastern sandstone wall doorway, leading to the new pavilion.
Central to this project’s success is the clients’ balanced appreciation of art and architecture, both modern and historical, which inspired the design response. Modern influences and harmonious proportions are evident in the existing house and new steel-framed pavilion. An internal palette of warm timber materials, cool concrete and original sandstone provide a clean, expansive backdrop for the clients’ art and artefacts.
Architecture by TKD Architects
Interior Design by Hare + Klein with TKD Architects
Interior Decoration by Hare + Klein