NSW Department of Education and Training
The Sydney Conservatorium is comprised of three elements – Verbrugghen Hall in the courtyard of the refurbished Greenway Stables building, the new terraced buildings surrounding this colonial centrepiece and a dramatic three storey foyer linking the old and new buildings. Tanner Kibble Denton Architects worked with the other architects of the project team developing strategies for the adaptation and refurbishment of the spaces and built fabric of Francis Greenway’s Government Stables, revealing their original simplicity and clarity. This involved removal of the extensive internal and external additions while rationalising the interior planning to address stringent demands of the acoustic brief.
Verbrugghen Hall, constructed in 1914-15, has been substantially adapted and refurbished to create a high quality concert hall for music education seating 540 people. Work to this hall has responded to the brief for a very high level of acoustic performance – a key issue in evaluating the cultural significance of the place – which was achieved by extensive intervention while retaining key elements of the original form and fabric. (With NSW Government Architect and Daryl Jackson Robyn Dyke)