NSW Heritage Office
The site of the Old King’s School in Parramatta is an item of considerable cultural significance. The King’s School was the first large private boarding school run by the Anglican Church to provide secondary education in the colony of New South Wales. The site of the former school is of particular importance to the history and evolution of education in New South Wales with the School occupying the site almost continuously from 1836 to 1964.
The Main Building, Headmaster’s House and their landscape setting were the major focus of attention during the project with works including the conservation of the significant fabric, spaces and their adaptation to suit the new use as the headquarters for the Heritage Council of NSW and the NSW Heritage Office.
As a result, one of Parramatta’s finest colonial buildings has a new role combining historic architecture with contemporary design in an effective modern working environment contributing to the enhancement of the heritage of Parramatta.