5 Martin Place, Sydney
H & M Hennes & Mauritz Australia
The COS Australian Flagship Store opened to the public on 19th November 2015 in the 1916 Banking Chamber of the former Commonwealth Bank of Australia building fronting Martin Place and Pitt Street.
Constructed in 1916 and extended in 1933, the former Head Office of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia at 5 Martin Place is of exceptional heritage significance at a national level. The former banking chamber of the refurbished and redeveloped building at ground floor was identified for re-use as high quality retail space. TKD Architects were responsible for the design & documentation of the base building conservation works & the fit-out works for the new COS Store. Base building works included conservation of the existing space & associated finishes, introduction of new bronze and glass tenancy partitions, integration of new services and a new lift connecting to the former Strong Rooms at lower ground floor level.
The fit-out has been designed, with the COS in house design team, to sit lightly within the grand Banking Chamber allowing visitors to appreciate the contemporary design of the new as well as the quality materials and design of the historic space. The back-of-house facilities are located in the Lower Ground Floor, designed to complement and utilise the former bank vaults.