One of a rare set of sandstone workers’ terraces (1866), this survival possesses great historic significance. While retaining all the original elements, the house was transformed into a contemporary residence providing open plan spaces, generous natural light, concealed storage/utilities and the expansion of valuable floor space. The core of the two-level residence is defined by the use of American oak cladding, with a study desk in the rear-facing living area and kitchen storage for supplies and appliances to the front. In the centre, a stair rises through a central light well with a functional laundry and toilet in the undercroft. To compliment the existing sandstone, the interior palette included light timber veneers, travertine, and crisp white composite stone.
Photography: Nicole England