The Rocks NSW
Listed on the State Heritage Register, the 3-4 storey Argyle Stores (c 1839) and the Cleland Bond (1914) have been adaptively reused for commercial purposes. This project was undertaken in accordance with current best practice conservation standards and had no overall adverse impact on the heritage significance of the existing buildings. A key design challenge in the project included the introduction of new building services and fire separation. Critically, the project addressed issues of BCA compliance with provision of fire protection and acoustic separation for the Lowenbrau Keller tenancy on the lower levels of the Argyle Stores a major outcome.
The ground floor of the Cleland Bond Store has been opened up to provide a large unencumbered space – the centrepiece of which is a large circular glass foyer used by the commercial tenancies on the floors above. The ‘foyer within a foyer’ evolved from the redesign of the main staircase, allowing the separation of different public spaces, in a transparent and deliberately bold style.