48-50 Martin Place, Sydney
The former Government Savings Bank of New South Wales at 48 – 50 Martin Place is a place of exceptional cultural heritage significance at a national level. Completed in 1928 and owned and occupied by the Commonwealth Bank for the last eighty years, it is one of the most important examples of its style and type within New South Wales and Australia and has a tremendous civic presence within the Martin Place precinct.
In 2009 the building was purchased by the Macquarie Group Ltd for use as its global headquarters in Sydney. The comprehensive refurbishment of the building – to the design of architects Johnson Pilton Walker – is guided by the Conservation Management Plan prepared by Tanner Kibble Denton Architects in 2010 and updated in 2012.
Macquarie’s principal objectives for the building’s refurbishment were to:
> maintain the ongoing commercial relevance of this key heritage building and the wider Martin Place precinct;
> enhance its heritage values and regain some of its lost qualities of the interiors;
> satisfy current and future market needs and expectations for internal amenity, technological innovation and environmental sustainability; and
> ensure the building is sustainable both environmentally and commercially into the next phase of its lifecycle.
Recently completed, TKD Architects was responsible for works to the building’s key historic interiors.